- Ages are as the end of the tax year. Ages for the MCA relate to the elder of spouse or civil partner.
- The Age related allowances are reduced by £1 for each £2 of income above £25,400 (2011/12 £24,000), until the minimum of £8,105 (2011/12 £7,475) is reached.
- Similar limits apply to the married couple’s allowance. The loss of tax reduction is 10p for each £2 of income above £25,400 (2011/12 £24,000) until the minimum of £296 (2011/12 £280) is reached. (For couples married before 5 December 2005, only the husband’s income is taken into account. For those married on or after 5 December 2005 or in a civil partnership, only the higher earner’s income is taken into account.)
- For 2012/13 the minimum personal allowance is reduced, by £1 for each £2 of income from £100,000 (2011/12 – £100,000) to £116,210 (2011/12 – £114,950).
- Where there are several trusts created by the same settlor, the “standard rate band” is divided equally between them, subject to a minimum band of £200 for each trust.